Quick Hits: WWE SummerSlam 2016
- Yup I’m here standing in for JC during the second biggest night of the WWE year, SummerSlam!
The Dudley Boyz vs Neville & Sami Zayn
- The idea of Zayn and Neville looks fantastic on paper. At least for Neville. Zayn, on the other hand, was on a roll after his blow-off match against Kevin Owens and I can’t help but think this was a step back. If both men decide to put everything into this team however, it could be a fantastic pairing.
- And the right team wins in the first match of the night. Here’s hoping this leads to more Neville & Zayn matches and maybe less Dudley Boyz as a team.
Sheamus vs Cesaro (#1 Match of Best of Seven Series)
- While 7 matches featuring Sheamus may not be on everyone’s bucket list, Cesaro and Sheamus tend to have very physical matches and tend to surprise with their efforts. I’ll give these guys a few matches to see how this’ll play out.
- Not a bad start but I expected a little more for their opening match.
Enzo & Big Cass vs Jeri-KO
- Jericho and Owens were made for one another. They could be one of the most entertaining heel tag teams in years.
- And I think the right team won here too. True Cass and Enzo are the future (especially Cass) but WWE desperately needs a strong heel tag team to help make the division relevant again.
Sasha Banks (c) vs Charlotte (WWE Women’s Championship Match)
- You know what would be fun here? A quick Sasha Banks heel turn followed by Bayley’s debut.
- I’m very surprised to see this match going on so early, especially with the lopsided SmackDown Women’s match on the card as well.
- God they’ve started out rather sloppy and it appears to be affecting them mentally. Hopefully they can rally.
- And that one top rope hurricarana got EVERYONE back on their side. Nice work.
- Honestly this just makes sense. There are FAR more babyface women on the roster right now and with the impending debut of Bayley, it only makes sense for Charlotte to be champ.
- Awesome little Balor/Club tease in that segment.
The Miz (c) vs Apollo Crews (WWE IC Championship Match)
- A short but decent match. I honestly think if it was any longer it would have become tiresome.
AJ Styles vs John Cena
- Has ANYONE made the same impact Styles has made since his WWE debut? 2016 has been insane for the Phenomenal One and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a feud with Ambrose in the near future for the WWE title.
- MY LORD! That was easily the match of the year so far! Absolutely incredible and despite it being overstated by the WWE announcers, that CLEAN victory over John Cena and unbelievable performance solidifies AJ Styles “spot” in the WWE for a while to come.
The New Day (c) w/Jon Stewart vs Gallows & Anderson
- Poor Jon Stewart. He’ll never get any love from the WWE audience.
- How awesome is the former Consequences Creed looking in probably his highest profile match of his career?
- Not a very satisfying finish but I did like seeing Xavier Woods showcased for once. It’s nice that the New Day have gotten to their year-long marker but it’s time to see some fresh blood with the belts.
Dean Ambrose (c) vs Dolph Ziggler (WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match)
- I have LOVED the Dolph Ziggler we’ve seen in the past few weeks. As much as I like Ambrose as champion, I would not mind seeing a Ziggler win here.
- Another fantastic match on a great night of wrestling. It’s a shame they didn’t get more time/go on as a main event since it was for the WWE World Championship. Seems like what’s old is new again when it comes to SmackDown.
Naomi, Carmella & Becky Lynch vs Natalya, Alexa Bliss & Nikki Bella
- I liked the Eva Marie tease but I loved the return of Nikki Bella. Give me (or her) all the crap you want but Bella has worked her ass off and even though she may not be as gifted in the ring as some of the other women currently on the roster, there’s definitely a spot for her.
- A surprisingly good tag match highlighted by Becky Lynch and Nikki’s return. I’m very curious to see SmackDown resolve the Women’s Championship issue on their show.
Seth Rollins vs Finn Balor (WWE Universal Championship Match)
- Wait… the US Title means more than the Universal Championship on RAW? Least that’s what it seems like. Poor booking choice.
- On the other hand, good move not coming up with an entirely new belt for the Universal Championship. You want your champions to be recognized and your champions to be seen as equals. This is a smart way to accomplish this.
- This is going to be a fun one.
- Another FANTASTIC match and I really like Balor kicking off his “main roster” career with a giant win. I’m curious to see where the RAW main event scene goes from here.
- What the hell was that?!?
Rusev (c) vs Roman Reigns (WWE United States Championship Match)
- This is exactly the time of feud Roman should be in right now. I’m sure he’ll be back in the main event soon but the upper mid-card feels like the right place at this moment.
- Well I guess that’s why this went on after the Universal title match. But still… why? Why couldn’t this angle take place before? Ah well.
Brock Lesnar vs Randy Orton
- I loved the video package before the match. A great history package for two guys who’ve had many parallels in their pro-wrestling careers.
- I don’t know how they worked out that finish but that elbow and cut was sickening. It easily looked like it was unintentional but then there was the whole angle with Shane McMahon. One way or another, that delivered for what people expect from a Brock Lesnar match. I’m really curious to see where all of this goes.