NJPW G1 Climax 28 Night 16 Review 8.8.18 W/5 Minute Wrestling Reviews
Night 16 of the NJPW G1 Cilmax 28 tournament was another solid night of action, with a great opener in Juice Robinson against Tomohiro Ishii. A first ever matchup between Naito and Sanada also was solid. With only one more night of the tournament left, and the standings as tight as ever, it will be very interesting to see how it all ends up!
Let us know your favorite match of the night, and be sure to subscribe for more reviews if you enjoyed the show! Don’t forget to check back here at Hittin The Canvas for reviews of each night of the G1 Climax tournament!
• Tomohiro Ishii vs. Juice Robinson: Crossing shoulder blocks starts the match and Ishii lays in chops in the corner. Ishii lands some head butts and takes control. They have a huge chop battle that Juice actually wins. Ishii hits a superplex, but Juice fires back with a powerbomb for 2. Juice lands a big left hand and lariat for 2. Ishii counters out of Pulp Friction and hits the sliding lariat for 2. Juice eats a German and clothesline for 2. Ishii counters Pulp Friction, hits an enzuguri and Brainbuster to win. ****
• Hirooki Goto vs. Zack Sabre Jr.: They have a big striking battle to start and Goto hits a Saito suplex. Brawling ensues outside with Zack tying up Goto and targeting the arm. Zack continues to work the arm inside before Goto fires up with a spinning kick and Saito for 2. Zack catches Goto’s elbow drop and locks in a dual arm submission. Sabre hits PK’s and locks the Cobra Twist and Octopus hold. Goto hits Ushigoroshi but Sabre gets a nearfall with a cool looking cradle. Reverse GTR is hit but Sabre hits the European clutch to win. ***1/2
• Kota Ibushi vs. Tama Tonga: Tonga starts on his own for once. Tonga attacks Ibushi before the bell and brawls outside. Tonga continues to dominate inside the ring laying in strikes. Ibushi lays in a flurry of strikes and a standing moonsault for 2. Tonga takes him outside and they brawl in the crowd. Ibushi is a madman and walks across a railing and hits a moonsault from the second level! Loa comes out and kick away but this allows Tonga to hit a neckbreaker and a DDT (velleno) for 2. Ibushi reverses the gun stun but the ref gets bumped. Fale interferes and hits a lariat, but Omega comes out to hit a V trigger on him! Loa hits a spear on Omega but Ibushi hits a lariat. Tonga is able to hit a pop up gun stun to win. Omega eats a powerbomb after the match before BC make the save. ***1/4
• Kenny Omega vs. Toru Yano: Yano covers the shaken up Omega for 2 and then removes the turnbuckles and whips Omega into them. Chase Owens helps Omega by putting the pad up for him. Yano hits an atomic drop and suplexes Omega onto all the turnbuckle pads but Omega just laughs it off. They take turns whacking each other with the pads. Yano catches Kenny’s pad and whips him outside, and Young Lion Narita gets taped onto Omega as an anchor in a hilarious count out spot. Back inside they get undone and trade roll ups. Omega hits some V triggers but Yano low blows the ref and Omega and hits a chop block. Tonga comes in and Gun stuns Yano and Omega. Tonga pulls Yano on top of Yano for the 3 count. ***1/4
• Tetsuya Naito vs. SANADA: They have a standoff before trading standing wristlocks. Sanada takes control with strikes in the corner but Naito hits a neck breaker. They brawl to the ramp and Naito hits a dropkick to the neck. Back inside they spit in each other’s face and Sanada hits a dropkick and plancha. Naito hits the corner dropkick but Sanada hits the springboard dropkick. Naito hits the super rana, but Sanada connects with a top rope twisting neckbreaker. Tiger Suplex gets 2 for Sanada. They reverse a bunch of moves before Naito hits Destino out of the TKO for 2. Sanada fires back with a Destino of his own for 2 and locks in Skull End. They trade strikes with Naito delivering a slap to the face. Sanada goes for Skull End and gets a roll up for 2. Naito hits a German right on Sanada’s head and finishes him with Destino to win. ****
Kenny Omega: 6-2 (12pts.)
Tetsuya Naito: 6-2 (12pts.)
Kota Ibushi: 5-3 (10pts.)
Zack Sabre Jr: 5-3 (10pts.)
SANADA: 4-4 (8pts.)
Tomohiro Ishii: 4-4 (8pts.)
Hirooki Goto: 3-5 (6pts.)
Tama Tonga: 3-5 (6pts.)
Juice Robinson: 2-6 (4pts.)
Toru Yano: 2-6 (4pts.)
Thanks for watching, and be sure to check back here for the Night 17 Review!
Follow us on Twitter @5MinWresReviews